Sunday, March 5, 2023

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia-Marquez (Week 8)

Wow, what a novel. I'm so happy we read this in class because I have been wanting to read it for ages. The second half of the book really went in a direction I wasn't expecting with the political tensions, introduction of the modern labour workforces, and discussions of agrarian reforms. The continuation of the Buendia family line also provided a really thought provoking reading experience.  

The farther and father I got into the book, as more characters got introduced it became harder to keep them all straight because of their identical names. This gave me a lot of confusion and made all of the characters mesh into one large confusing character for me, with different plot points and personality traits of some characters getting carried over to others amongst the confusion. The intentionality of this has been making me really ponder the message behind Garcia Marquez's rationale in writing this way. Is it to show how much our family impacts ourselves? Does it show our lack on individuality in society or our families? Building on the messages with the banana tres, does it comment to how outsiders view those in rural foreign communities as all the same and without individuality or differing features? Or does it illustrate the time loop of Macondo and it’s slow process of development?

I also found it interesting how the Aureliano and Arcardio names kept constantly repeating throughout the family history, but Ursula's didn't (other than Amarantha Ursuala...I believe?). Considering she was one of the few characters that expanded the entire novel I thought it odd that her name wasn't carried more from generation to generation. 

Moving onto the next thing that really surprised me was the banana company. This was by far my favourite aspect of the novel. I remember reading about the banana massacre of 1928 and the soft power exploits of the United Fruit Company, so I was super intrigued about why Garcia Marquez chose to include parallel problems in this book. Saying that the workers were coming "because everyone was coming" (229) and calling it "the banana plague" (229) was really making a statement on the destruction that colonization and foreign intervention causes to a community in the fight for it's resources. To see this plot point get introduced right at the shifting point into modernity in the novel was telling timing. To me, it also made a statement about who was in control of the town's future. The inhabitants that have been controlling Macondo since it's creation or those who come in uninvited and disrupt the lives of those in the community? It also seemed to kind of break the endless time loop within the town with the introduction of war, conflict, and death suffered by the young. Not to mention all the labour issues that those who worked with the banana company experienced. 

I understand why this novel is considered to be one that everyone should read. It really makes you think about the role that family plays in shaping us, how we shape societies outside our own, and how societies have changed over time with the introduction of modern invention and technology. Even though it was published in 1967, the magical and relevant aspects of it makes it seem as applicable now as it was upon it's first publication. 

Question for the class: What do you think the reason of repetitive and similar names was in the novel? What point was Garcia Marquez trying to make?

5 comments:

  1. "It really makes you think about the role that family plays in shaping us, how we shape societies outside our own, and how societies have changed over time with the introduction of modern invention and technology."

    A nice summary! I'd add also that the vision of family that it presents is sprawling and comes almost to overlap with society as a whole... all these people that come in and out or who contribute to the family (Pilar Ternera, for instance) without being officially part of it, or the way in which Colonel Aureliano "seeds" all those other Aurelianos throughout the country. I know other students have been pulled up short by the incest theme, but to me it's as though GGM wanted to try out almost every possible combination of alliance or coupling possible.

    And yes, the banana plantation plot is certainly memorable. I like how you frame it in terms of agency or "control."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great analysis of the banana company plot line! As for your question, I think there are multiple reasons why García Márquez chose to repeat names. My initial instinct is to think that this is a reflection of the lingering legacies of family history and how every character in this book fails to break a generational cycle. This would of course mean that individuality is limited in some way. You bring up a good point with the outsider perspective piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I also had the same issue of keeping up with the names! Seemed so hard to track every timeline. To answer your question regarding that: I feel like it's not so much of a statement on the lack of 'individuality' per se, but rather on the ways in which external influences (like family) can trump any such notions. In the same way, the town is not immune to the many people that come and build upon it!

    - Nandita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,
    I agree with some of the folks above (in response to your last question as well as having enjoyed the reflection of the 'banana plague'). I hadn't thought of it as a sign of "ending the cycle" until you mention it - but it is certainly a distinct occurrence, something so sever in the town that it is made unrepeatable.
    In terms of the 'reason' for so many repeating names - I think we all have similar ideas that it is merely a means of symbolizing the repetition throughout the novel, and perhaps also confuse us a little bit - occasionally to the point of feeling like we were in the middle of the storm which ends the story. Regardless, I personally found that it allowed me to gloss over some of the more minute details that may not be necessary for keeping up with each person, and rather be along for the ride in all of its ridiculousness (i.e. drama and magic).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julia :)
    There are approximately 20 main characters, and 4 of them share the same name. I needed to draw a diagram by the time I saw "Aureliano" to avoid mixing up characters haha

    I am Japanese so I had a hard time understanding the concept, yet I think this was a reality in the Hispanic culture of the time, and Marquez simply reflects the Spanish tradition of passing on the father's name to the eldest child.

    I also feel that by representing seven generations of the Buendia family with only a few names, Marquez tries to convey that history is destined to repeat itself many times over.

    ReplyDelete

Conclusion! (Week 14)

I never thought I would say this about a university literature class, but I'm sad it's over. I had such a great time discussing thes...